***UPDATE*** The Ashland County Sheriff's Department has identified 16-year-old Ashland High School student killed Friday after rear-ending a school bus as David Hamann.
The incident remains under investigation, though speed is believed to have been a contributing factor.
On May 19, 2017, at approximately 7:45 A.M., the Ashland County Communications Center received a 911 telephone call reporting a car had crashed into the rear of a school bus on State Highway 112 approximately two miles south of Ashland. Deputies of the Ashland and Bayfield County Sheriff's Offices, a GLIFWIC Warden, Wisconsin State Patrol Troopers, Ashland Fire and Ambulance, and Washburn Ambulance responded to the scene. Initial reports indicated the driver of the car was not breathing. Additional medical units and helicopters were dispatched but later canceled en-route.
Preliminary investigations determined that the Lakeshore bus carrying eighteen students was traveling northbound on STH 112 and slowing to make a left-hand turn when it was struck from behind by a car driven by a sixteen-year-old male Ashland High School student. The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene by the Ashland County Coroner. Two of the students on the bus were transported by ambulance to Memorial Medical Center, and the remaining passengers were taken by bus to the hospital for evaluation.
The crash is under investigation by the Ashland County Sheriff's Office and a full scene reconstruction is being handled by the Wisconsin State Patrol. Names are being withheld pending further investigation and notification of family.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- 1-Vehicle Crash in Spooner at 63 & 70 Intersection
- Tornado Hits Near Chetek in Barron County
- UPDATE: Subjects Have Been Identified
- UPDATE: Names Released in Barron County Crash
- Spooner Middle School & Spooner Police Provide Character Education Programming
- Summer School Takes Learning to New Heights
- Governor Walker Visits Shell Lake School
- Dock Talk: Spooner Middle School Principal Brad Larrabee
- (UPDATE) Man Identified in Fatal Polk County Crash