Note: 15 Things You Might Not Know About Me is part of DrydenWire’s 2020 election coverage. 15 Things will feature a different candidate each week. That candidate will also appear as a guest on Meet The Candidate, a special edition of DrydenWire Live airing every Friday morning via Facebook.
This week on 15 Things features 73rd Assembly District Candidate, Keith Kern.
- I am a second generation small business owner of Jimmy's Saloon, located in the Billings Park neighborhood in Superior.
- I race cars - I started dirt track at the age of 16 and have raced for 20 years all over Northern Wisconsin. I won my first feature in 2015.
- I am the Tavern League President for Douglas County and I am an 8th District Director, which covers a large region in the northwest of Wisconsin.
- I proposed to my beautiful wife on Christmas Eve of 2018 and we were married in October of 2019.
- I am currently serving my 5th year on the Superior City Council. Over that time I have been selected to leadership roles as President and Vice-President. I also chair Parks and Recreation and co-chair Finance.
- I am the President of the Billings Park Days Association, which is a talented hard-working group that has been responsible for bringing back Billings Park Days. This is a two day festival located on Iowa Avenue in Superior that has a little of something for everyone.
- At the age of 19 I was diagnosed with skin cancer. After many months of recovery I have been cleared for over 16 years.
- I am currently remodeling a house during this campaign. Yes, life has been very crazy the last few months!
- During the shutdown, my wife and I adopted a rescue dog from our local shelter. Her name is Daysha. She is a two year old Rottweiler/German Shepherd who loves to swim and chase after tennis balls. You may see her on the campaign trail with us!
- My wife and I have no children, but we do enjoy spending time with our two nieces Emma & Carly.
- I'm the youngest of three - Michelle & Kevin are my siblings.
- My two biggest role models are my mother Renee and my late father Michael. They have both taught and instilled a hard work ethic in me.
- My favorite food is pizza. I could eat it every day.
- I bowled a 300 game.
- I didn't go to college. I graduated high school and went right to work. I enjoy working hard and pushing to better myself and others around me.
- If you see me out and I'm dressed up, ask to see my socks.