Fall Lawn Care Tips
Lawn care does not stop when summer ends. To the contrary, when it comes to routine turf maintenance the late summer to early fall months are a critical time for cool season lawns.
Cool season lawns are a group of turf species comprised mainly of Kentucky bluegrass, tall fescue, perennial ryegrass, and fine fescue. If you are a homeowner in Wisconsin your lawn is more than likely it is a cool season type. Cool season lawns green up quickly in the spring and fall but may go dormant during the hottest part of summer.
Coming out of summer, cool season lawns will be stressed and could use some tender loving care. Following are few tips to pick up your lawn as the summer fades to fall.
- Aerate – A great way to relieve soil compaction and reduce thatch. The machine for the job is a hollow-tine aerator. Operate the core aerator a few days after a rain when the soil is still slightly damp. Core aerators cannot cut into hard, dry soil. Leave the soil cores to break down over the next few weeks.
- Overseed – Broadcast seed into an established lawn with a seeder or by hand.
- Fertilize – Apply 1 pound of nitrogen fertilizer per 1,000 square feet. If you only do one lawn feeding a year, this should be it!
Northwoods Hardware Hank has all your fall lawn care supplies: Aerators-Rental, Grass Seed and Fertilizers.
This month Northwoods is selling Milorganite for only $8.99 a bag (*when you mention this post from Drydenwire). Milorganite is a natural fertilizer made in Milwaukee, WI. Milorganite is almost a century old company that creates this natural fertilizer through recycling efforts. The fertilizer contains no salts so it won’t burn your lawns, is a slow-release fertilizer providing nutrients for 10 weeks after application, adds organic matter to feed the soil, and so many other benefits. Milorganite is also a great fertilizer for your veggie and flower gardens too.
Northwoods Hardware Hank
- Address: 321 N River St, Spooner, Wisconsin 54801
- Phone: (715)-635-7366
- Website: http://northwoodshardwarehank.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Northwoodshardwarehank/
Northwoods Hardware Hank & Rental is your one-stop store for just about everything you need for your home, including hardware, paint, pet and ranch, housewares, lawn and garden, plumbing, electrical, keys, rental equipment and so much more. We carry well-known name brand manufacturers such as Husqvarna, Valspar Paint, Scott's Lawn Care and Fertilizers and Weber Grills. We are the authorized dealer for Premier Portable Buildings and Aluma Trailers. Conveniently located on River Street.