The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is providing a weekly update on construction projects in the northwest region, which includes the counties of Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Taylor, Trempealeau and Washburn counties.
Construction related traffic impacts are subject to change and dependent on favorable weather patterns.
Highway: South Main Street
- Location: City of Rice Lake, Red Cedar River Bridge
- Schedule: September 17, 2018 to September 2019
- Cost: $3.1 million
- Description: Crews will replace the Red Cedar River Bridge.
- Traffic Impacts: Main Street will be open to traffic lane closures and reduced lane width. Main Street was reduced from four lanes to two, each with two 12 foot lanes. This traffic control impacts roughly 900 feet of the project segment.
Highway: WIS 25
- Location: North of Barron, WI
- Schedule: April 30 to June 2019
- Cost: $279,000
- Description: Crews will remove and replace aging culvert pipes and construct a new bridge over the Barker Creek Tributary.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 25 will be closed within the project limits. A detour route will be posted, utilizing US 8, US 53, and WIS 48.
Highway: County Highway F
- Location: Benoit to US 2
- Schedule: April 1 to June 7, 2019
- Cost: $430,000
- Description: The bridge over South Fish Creek will be rehabilitated.
- Traffic Impacts: A section of County Highway F will be closed for the duration of the project. The detour route posted for this closure will utilize County Highway F, US 63 and Olson Lane.
Highway: WIS 121
- Location: Gilmanton to Independence, Elk Creek Bridge
- Schedule: April 4 to June 2019
- Cost: $420,000
- Description: The Elk Creek Bridge will be removed and replaced with a new structure. Construction will be completed in two separate stages.
- Traffic Impacts: Traffic on WIS 121 will be reduced to one lane while work on the bridge is occurring. Signals are in place at the project site to control the flow of traffic.
Local Road: 195th Street
- Location: Town of Lafayette, near the Paint Creek Bridge
- Schedule: March 25 to July 2019
- Cost: $1.1 million
- Description: This project consists of retaining wall, grading, concrete sidewalk, concrete curb and gutter, base course, storm sewer, pipe railing, bridge construction, and incidental work.
- Traffic Impacts: 195th Street will be closed throughout the duration of the project. No detour will be signed.
Highway: County Highway S
- Location: US 53 to Jim Falls; near Chippewa Falls, WI
- Schedule: May 14 to late July 2019
- Cost: $875,000
- Description: This project consists of a 0.3 mile concrete pavement reconstruction of County Highway S between US 53 and County Highway Q.
- Traffic Impacts: County Highway S is open to traffic and will remain open to traffic throughout construction. Westbound County Highway S will maintain a shoulder closure for stage 1 operations. Stage 2 traffic will begin next week and will involve bidirectional traffic on the westbound side of the median using crossovers.
Local Road: Owen Avenue
- Location: Town of Beaver
- Schedule: May 20, 2019 to August 30, 2019
- Cost: $720,000
- Description: Crews will realign the intersection of Rock Creek Road and Owen Avenue, resurface the roads with asphalt overlay and replace a bridge within the project limits. Grading will be performed as necessary.
- Traffic Impacts: No traffic impacts will occur until June 10. On June 10, Rock Creek Road and Owen Avenue will be closed to motorists. No detour will be posted.
Highway: US 2
- Location: Belknap Street, City of Superior; Banks Avenue to Hill Avenue
- Schedule: 2017 to June 2019
- Cost: $23.4 million
- Description: Belknap Street has been reconstructed from Banks to Hill Avenue over the last two seasons. Work scheduled for 2019 involves fence railing, pavement marking, and general clean-up.
- Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect occasional lane closures during working hours.
Highway: US 12
- Location: City of Menomonie, Broadway Street (Red Cedar River Bridge)
- Schedule: April 30, 2018 to September 2019
- Cost: $2.9 million
- Description: Crews will make repairs and improvements to the Red Cedar River Bridge.
- Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect traffic shifts and lane closures for the duration of the project.
- Location: Between Hudson and Menomonie, from WIS 128 to 250th Street, near Knapp, WI
- Schedule: March 25, 2019 to November 2020
- Cost: $57.5 million
- Description: A variety of work will be performed on the roadway, including milling, paving, temporary bridge construction, and utility relocation.
- Traffic impacts: Currently, eastbound and westbound lane closures are in effect on I-94 from WIS 128 to 160th Street.
- Location: Knapp Hill; between Hudson and Menomonie, from 250th Street to Wilson Creek
- Schedule: November 2019 completion date
- Cost: $30.3 million
- Description: Work under this contract consists of grading, base aggregate, concrete pavement, hot mix asphalt pavement, new structures, pavement marking, signing, right of way fence, median cable barrier, beam guard, traffic control, and incidentals.
- Traffic impacts: Currently eastbound and westbound single lane closures are set during off peak traffic hours. Closures will be set and removed each day. Both lanes will be open during times of heavy traffic.Eastbound I-94 traffic was shifted over to the shoulder last week from CTH K to the east end of the project. Two lanes will be open with both lanes shifted. The tentative switch date to push WB 94 on the temporary roadway has been pushed back to anywhere from June 5th – 8th due to weather and scheduling delays. Expect intermittent flagging operations at all side roads. (390th, 650th, CTH K, and 250th) Demo of the existing bridges will start after the 3 day proving period is completed on the temporary median roadway. Depending on the switch date, each structure will be closed for one night starting with 390th. Closures will go from 9 PM to 6 AM.
Highway: WIS 54
- Location: Black River Falls to City Point
- Schedule: April 29 to July 2019
- Cost: $10 million
- Description: This project will consist of 26 miles of cold-in-place recycling, milling and hot asphalt mix overlay along WIS 54.
- Traffic Impacts: Motorists can expect minor delays caused by temporary flagging operations. WIS 54 will be open to traffic throughout the project.
Highway: US 10
- Location: Hastings to Prescott
- Schedule: September 4, 2018 to June 2019
- Cost: $1 million
- Description: Bridge rehabilitation, concrete surface repair, joint replacement, floor repair, polymer overlay.
- Traffic Impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter occasional westbound single-lane closures during working hours. US 10 Remains open to traffic.
Highway: US 10 (NEW)
- Location: Ellsworth to Durand
- Schedule: May 28 to September 2019
- Cost: $1.7 million
- Description: Crews will reconstruct the Plum Creek Bridge.
- Traffic Impacts: US 10 will remain open to traffic.
Highway: County Highway B
- Location: County Highway P to Glen Flora, Main Creek Bridge
- Schedule: May 15, 2019 to May 31, 2019
- Cost: $390,000
- Description: Crews will remove and replace the Main Creek Bridge.
- Traffic Impacts: County Highway B was closed on May 15 between County Highway P and Circle Road and will remain closed for the project’s duration. The intersection of County Highway B and County Highway P will remain open during construction.
Highway: WIS 27
- Location: City of Hayward, South Dakota Avenue; West Carol Drive to US 63
- Schedule: March 25 to June 2019 & September 3, 2019 to November 2019
- Cost: $4 million
- Description: In the first phase of the project, crews will convert the 4-lane roadway between the Namekagon River Bridge and US 63 to a 5-lane roadway with a two-way left turn lane. Additionally, the existing 4-lane roadway from West Carol Drive to Michigan Avenue will be converted to a 3-lane roadway with a two-way left turn lane. Auxiliary work such as pavement resurfacing and traffic signal installation will be performed as needed.
- Traffic Impacts: One lane of traffic will be open in each direction throughout the duration of the project. Motorists should expect to encounter travel delay due to lane closures and flagging operations. No traffic impacts will occur on holidays such as Fourth of July and Labor Day.
Highway: US 63
- Location: Between WIS 27 and Larsen Road, near Hayward, WI
- Schedule: April 1 to July 2019
- Cost: $4.7 million
- Description: The project involves removing existing concrete roadway surface, crushing that concrete, and reusing it as base. The new surface will be asphalt. The Hospital Road intersection will be reconstructed on a new alignment. 12 mainline culvert pipes will be replaced. New signs, pavement marking, and beam guard will be installed.
- Traffic Impacts: US 63 will be closed beginning on April 8, with two detours in place. Heavy truck traffic will be routed from Hayward north on WIS 27 to US 2 and then east to the US 63 intersection (near Ashland/Ino). The car detour will be from Hayward east on WIS 77 to County Highway OO, continuing north on County Highway OO to the US 63 intersection (near Seeley). Local traffic will maintain access.
St. Croix County
- Location: 130th Street and Kinnickinnic River Bridges, between Hudson and Baldwin
- Schedule: April 1, 2019 to July 2020
- Cost: $17 million
- Description: Proposed improvements include replacing four structures (two over 130TH street and two over Kinnickinnic River), concrete placement, and sign and sign structures.
- Traffic Impacts: During construction, I-94 will remain open to traffic. Motorists can expect to encounter lane shifts and single lane closures on I-94. Motorists can expect 130th Street to be open to traffic with periodic short-term full closures and/or flagging operations. Closures will also occur on the westbound and eastbound shoulders of I-94.
- Location: WIS 35 North to US 12, City of Hudson
- Schedule: March 28, 2019 to June 7, 2019
- Cost: $28 Million
- Description: This rehabilitation project will be updating a segment of I-94 by upgrading and replacing deteriorating sections of roadway and shoulders, two bridge decks over Front Street, concrete barrier walls, signs and sign structures, widening a bridge deck over Northern WIS 35, and adding two noise walls and three retaining walls. The project is largely complete. Remaining work involves completing punch list items and finalizing the project.
- Traffic impacts: None
Highway: Loop Trail Facilities (Nearest highway WIS 64)
- Location: From Stillwater to Somerset, near Houlton, WI
- Schedule: April 22, 2019 to May 2019
- Cost: $3.7 million
- Description: The Loop Trail facilities will be completed, involving pedestrian railing installation, signage installation, pavement marking, painting the pedestrian tunnel, landscape surveillance and installing a “Welcome to WI” sign nearby the facilities.
- Traffic Impacts: No major traffic impacts are expected, but motorists should be aware that not all the Loop Trail facilities are open. The multi-use path and pedestrian tunnel are not accessible to the public until further work has been completed.
- Location: Eau Claire to Osseo
- Schedule: April 9, 2019 to October 2020
- Cost: $10 million
- Description: This is a comprehensive road improvement project. Work performed on the project will include excavation and placement of base, concrete paving, hot-mix asphalt paving, standard paving, beam guard installation, pavement marking, signing, fencing, mechanically stabilized earth wall installation, and bridge replacements.
- Traffic Impacts: An eastbound shoulder closure will be maintained along I-94 for the duration of the project. Eastbound and westbound passing lane closures will be in place Tuesday, May 28 until Thursday, June 6. These closures will be in effect from 6:00PM on Tuesday to 11:00AM on Thursday.
Highway: US 53
- Location: Beaches Corner
- Schedule: April 8, 2019 to July 2019
- Cost: $800,000
- Description: Bridge replacement project over Beaver Creek.
- Traffic Impacts: Motorists can expect single lane closures with temporary traffic signals.
Highway: County Highway D
- Location: Ettrick, WI to WIS 95
- Schedule: May 6 to late June 2019
- Cost: $265,000
- Description: Crews will remove and replace the Big French Creek Bridge.
- Traffic Impacts: County Highway D is closed at the bridge and will remain closed for the duration of the project. No detour will be posted.