The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is providing a weekly update on construction projects in the northwest region, which includes the counties of Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Taylor, Trempealeau and Washburn counties.
Construction related traffic impacts are subject to change and dependent on favorable weather patterns.
Northwest Region Pavement Marking Project (NEW)
This project will take place in various counties at various locations. This excerpt will be updated weekly with the locations that have been impacted in the last week, and the locations that will be impacted in the following week.
Highways: WIS 64, WIS 35, US 12
- Counties: St. Croix, Burnett, Jackson
- Schedule: July 27 to October 2019
- Cost: $1.3 million
- Description: The Northwest Region Pavement Marking Project is a comprehensive project in which crews will travel to multiple counties to perform pavement marking.
- Traffic Impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter a moving single lane closure for pavement marking on various highways.
- Anticipated Work Schedule: Long line marking is expected to be done on US 10 in Trempealeau County, US 10 in Jackson County, and I-94 in Jackson County near Black River Falls during the week of July 14.
Highway: South Main StreetLocation: City of Rice Lake, Red Cedar River Bridge
- Schedule: September 17, 2018 to September 2019
- Cost: $3.1 million
- Description: Crews will replace the Red Cedar River Bridge. Construction will be completed in two stages.
- Traffic Impacts: Main Street will be open to traffic lane closures and reduced lane width. Main Street was reduced from four lanes to two, each with two 12-foot lanes. This traffic control impacts roughly 900 feet of the project segment.
Highway: WIS 35
- Location: Trempealeau to Fountain City / Mississippi River Tributary Bridges
- Schedule: April 25 to September 13, 2019
- Cost: $2.8 million
- Description: The work under this contract shall consist of bridge replacement, concrete approach slabs, base aggregate dense, asphaltic pavement, grading, beamguard placement, restoration, and all incidental items necessary to complete the work as shown on the plans and included in the proposal and contract.
- Traffic Impacts: Traffic will be controlled via temporary traffic signals for all three single lane closures. The northbound lanes will be constructed first.
Local Road: 195th Street
- Location: Town of Lafayette, near the Paint Creek Bridge
- Schedule: March 25 to July 18, 2019
- Cost: $1.1 million
- Description: This project consists of retaining wall, grading, concrete sidewalk, concrete curb and gutter, base course, storm sewer, pipe railing, bridge construction, and incidental work.
- Traffic Impacts: 195th Street will be closed throughout the duration of the project. No detour will be signed.
Highway: County Highway S
- Location: US 53 to Jim Falls; near Chippewa Falls, WI
- Schedule: May 14 to late July 2019
- Cost: $875,000
- Description: This project consists of a 0.3 mile concrete pavement reconstruction of County Highway S between US 53 and County Highway Q. Traffic controls will be staged, and will change throughout the course of the project.
- Traffic Impacts: County Highway S is open to traffic and will remain open to traffic throughout construction. Traffic controls are in Stage 3, consisting of bidirectional traffic on the permanent eastbound side of the median while construction takes place on the westbound lanes. Westbound traffic will use the temporary bypass constructed during stage 1.
Local Road: Owen Avenue
- Location: Town of Beaver
- Schedule: May 20, 2019 to August 2019
- Cost: $720,000
- Description: Crews will realign the intersection of Rock Creek Road and Owen Avenue, resurface the roads with asphalt overlay and replace a bridge within the project limits. Grading will be performed as necessary.
- Traffic Impacts: Rock Creek and Owen Avenue were closed to motorists on June 10 and is estimated to remain closed until August 30. No detour is posted.
Highway: US 12
- Location: City of Menomonie, Broadway Street (Red Cedar River Bridge)
- Schedule: April 30, 2018 to September 2019
- Cost: $2.9 million
- Description: Crews will make repairs and improvements to the Red Cedar River Bridge.
- Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect traffic shifts and lane closures for the duration of the project.
- Location: Between Hudson and Menomonie, from WIS 128 to 250th Street, near Knapp and Wilson Creek
- Schedule: March 25, 2019 to November 2020
- Cost: $57.5 million
- Description: A variety of work will be performed on the roadway, including milling, paving, temporary bridge construction, and utility relocation.
- Traffic impacts: Eastbound and westbound lane closures are in effect on I-94 from WIS 128 to 160th Street.
- Location: Knapp Hill; between Hudson and Menomonie, from 250th Street to Wilson Creek
- Schedule: November 2019 completion date
- Cost: $30.3 million
- Description: Work under this contract consists of grading, base aggregate, concrete pavement, hot mix asphalt pavement, new structures, pavement marking, signing, right of way fence, median cable barrier, beam guard, traffic control, and incidentals.
- Traffic impacts: Eastbound and westbound single lane closures are set during off-peak traffic hours. Closures will be set and removed each day. Both lanes will be open during times of heavy traffic.
- Westbound I-94 traffic is running on a temporary roadway with 12’ lanes, 2’ shoulders, and barrier wall on both sides. Traffic will be in this configuration until early October.
- Eastbound I-94 traffic is shifted to the shoulder from County Highway K to the east end of the project. Two lanes will be open with both lanes shifted. Scheduled closures will occur over the next several weeks during periods of off-peak traffic.
- The speed limit on I-94 is reduced to 60MPH in either direction throughout the project.
- Expect intermittent flagging operations at 390th street and County Highway K over the next several months.
Highway: WIS 25
- Location: WIS 170 to WIS 64, near Wheeler, WI
- Schedule: June 12 to October 2019
- Cost: $5.8 million
- Description: The project consists of a 4-span bridge replacement and 5.6 miles of asphalt milling and overlay.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 25 is closed from WIS 170 to County Highway N. Motorists should expect daily flagging operations from County Highway N to WIS 64 during construction. Two detours are in place:
- Detour for northbound traffic: Take WIS 170 east out of Wheeler, turn left on County Highway S, then turn left on County Highway N. Continue to WIS 25 and take a right to continue north.
- Detour for southbound traffic: Turn left on County Highway N and continue until the County Highway N/County Highway S intersection. Take a right at County Highway S and continue to WIS 170. Turn right on WIS 170. Continue on WIS 170 until its intersection with WIS 25 in Wheeler. Turn left to continue south on WIS 25.
Eau Claire County
Local Road: Bartlett Avenue (NEW)
- Location: City of Altoona, Bartlett Ave from 10th Street W to 7th Street W
- Schedule: July 8 to August 2019
- Cost: $631,000
- Description: Crews will perform utility work and removals on watermain, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer structures.
- Traffic Impacts: Barlett Avenue is open to local traffic only within the project limits. Residents have access to driveways and maintain access. Motorists should also expect an upcoming closure at the intersection of Bartlett Avenue and 10th Street W. A detour will be posted utilizing Daniels Avenue, 11th Street W, and Garfield Avenue.
Highway: WIS 54
- Location: Black River Falls to City Point
- Schedule: April 29 to August 16, 2019
- Cost: $10 million
- Description: This project will consist of 26 miles of cold-in-place recycling, milling and hot asphalt mix overlay along WIS 54.
- Traffic Impacts: Motorists can expect minor delays caused by temporary flagging operations. WIS 54 will be open to traffic throughout the project.
Highway: US 10
- Location: Ellsworth to Durand
- Schedule: May 28 to September 2019
- Cost: $1.7 million
- Description: Crews will reconstruct the Plum Creek Bridge.
- Traffic Impacts: Traffic has been switched onto a single lane temporary bypass controlled by temporary signals and flagging operations. Motorists should expect minor delays.
Local Road: Broken Arrow Road (NEW)
- Location: Town of Marshall, Village of Sheldon, Little Jump River Bridge
- Schedule: July 8 to September 2019
- Cost: $426,000
- Description: Bridge replacement over the Little Jump River.
- Traffic Impacts: Broken Arrow Road will be closed with no posted detour.
Highway WIS 27
- Location: City of Hayward, South Dakota Avenue; West Carol Drive to US 63
- Schedule: March 25 to June 28, 2019 & September 3, 2019 to November 2019
- Cost: $4 million
- Description: Construction between March 25 to June 28 will occur between West Carol Drive and US 63. The existing 4-lane roadway between the Namekagon River Bridge and US 63 will be converted to a 5-lane roadway with the addition of a center Two-Way Left Turn Lane. The bridge will have the existing surface layer milled and overlaid. The existing 4-lane roadway from West Carol Drive to Michigan Avenue will be converted to a 3-lane roadway what includes one lane in each direction and a center Two-Way Left Turn Lane. Existing curb, gutter, sidewalk and signage will remain in place. These sections are complete.
- Construction from September 3 to November 1 will occur between the Namekagon River Bridge and Michigan Avenue. The County Highway B intersection will be reconstructed with new signals, storm sewer and pavement. Traffic signals will be added at Railroad Street. Final signal synchronization between the County Highway B, Railroad Street and US 63 signals will be completed at this time.
- Traffic Impacts: Phase one of the project is complete. Construction will resume on September 3rd.
Highway: US 63
- Location: Between WIS 27 and Larsen Road, near Hayward, WI
- Schedule: April 1 to July 2019
- Cost: $4.7 million
- Description: The project involves removing existing concrete roadway surface, crushing that concrete, and reusing it as base. The new surface will be asphalt. The Hospital Road intersection will be reconstructed on a new alignment. 12 mainline culvert pipes will be replaced. New signs, pavement marking, and beam guard will be installed.
- Traffic Impacts: US 63 is open to cars, but the truck detour remains in place. Heavy truck traffic will be routed from Hayward north on WIS 27 to US 2 and then east to the US 63 intersection (near Ashland/Ino).
Highway: WIS 27, WIS 13
- Location: Between WIS 40 to WIS 70
- Schedule: June 17 to August 2019
- Cost: $1.7 million
- Description: Scrub Seal and Fog Seal operations will occur along WIS 27. Pavement will also be marked. The project effects four different segments of highway; one on WIS 27, and three on WIS 13.
- Traffic Impacts: The WIS 27 segment has been completed. Work on WIS 13 will begin in a few weeks.
St. Croix County
- Location: 130th Street and Kinnickinnic River Bridges, between Hudson and Baldwin
- Schedule: April 1, 2019 to July 2020
- Cost: $17 million
- Description: Proposed improvements include replacing four structures (two over 130TH street and two over Kinnickinnic River), concrete placement, and sign and sign structures.
- Traffic Impacts: During construction, I-94 will remain open to traffic. Closures will be maintained on the inside shoulders and inside lanes of both eastbound and westbound I-94.
Highway: WIS 97
- Location: Stratford to Goodrich, Baldwin Creek Bridge
- Schedule: July 8 to July 29, 2019
- Cost: $335,000
- Description: Crews will perform excavation, hot-mix-asphalt pavement overlay, guard rail, pavement marking, and culvert pipe replacements.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 97 will be closed during construction.
- The detour for northbound WIS 97 will be routed north on WIS 13 to WIS 64, then east on WIS 64.
- The detour for southbound WIS 97 will be routed west on WIS 64 to WIS 13, south on WIS 13 to WIS 29, then east on WIS 29.
Highway: WIS 54 (NEW)
- Location: US 53 to East County Line (Galesville to North Bend)
- Schedule: July 15 to November 12, 2019
- Cost: $4.2 million
- Description: The project is a 9-mile rural asphalt paving project including culvert replacement, pipe lining, subgrade improvements, guardrail, new permanent signing and pavement marking.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 54 will be open to traffic under flagging operations starting July 15. Expect minor delays.
- Location: Eau Claire to Osseo
- Schedule: April 9, 2019 to October 2020
- Cost: $10 million
- Description: This is a comprehensive road improvement project. Work performed on the project will include excavation and placement of base, concrete paving, hot-mix asphalt paving, standard paving, beam guard installation, pavement marking, signing, fencing, mechanically stabilized earth wall installation, and bridge replacements.
- Traffic Impacts: Eastbound & westbound passing lane closures will be in place Monday nights from 6pm until 11am on Thursday.
Highway: US 53
- Location: Beaches Corner
- Schedule: April 8, 2019 to July 18, 2019
- Cost: $815,000
- Description: Bridge replacement project over Beaver Creek.
- Traffic Impacts: Motorists can expect single lane closures with temporary traffic signals.