The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is providing a weekly update on construction projects in the northwest region, which includes the counties of Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Taylor, Trempealeau and Washburn counties.
Construction related traffic impacts are subject to change and dependent on favorable weather patterns.
Highway: WIS 118 and WIS 112
- Location: Benoit through WIS 112, from Ashland Bayfield Road to WIS 112 and Marengo, WIS 118 to US 2
- Schedule: July 29 to October 2019
- Cost: $2.9 million
- Description: Proposed improvements include milling deteriorated asphalt surface, recycling asphalt pavement and hot-mix-asphalt resurfacing. The project also includes improvements to shoulders, curb and gutter, sidewalk, pedestrian signals, rumble strip installation, signing and pavement marking.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 112/118 has lane restrictions using flagging operations under traffic. Lane restrictions will be no longer than one mile. These restrictions will occur only during daylight hours from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Saturday. All side roads and driveways will be accessible. From Monday to Wednesday, Sept. 10 to 18, a right-lane closure will be maintained on eastbound US 2 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Thursday and 6 a.m. to noon Friday. No traffic controls will be maintained during the weekend.
Highway: South Main Street
- Location: Red Cedar River Bridge, Rice Lake
- Schedule: Sept. 17, 2018 to October 2019
- Cost: $3.2 million
- Description: Crews will replace the Red Cedar River Bridge. Construction will be completed in two stages.
- Traffic Impacts: Main Street is open to two-way traffic with stage three traffic controls. During stage three, two-way traffic will be switched to the east side of the bridge.
Highway: WIS 13
- Location: Tewilliger Creek Bridge
- Schedule: Aug. 5 to October 2019
- Cost: $808,000
- Description: The project includes concrete and asphalt resurfacing, curb and gutter improvements and pavement marking.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 13 will be open with a shoulder closure.
Bayfield and Sawyer counties
Highway: US 63
- Location: County M and Larsen Road, near Seeley and Cable
- Schedule: July 8 to October 2019
- Cost: $3.8 million
- Description: The project involves the recycling of existing pavement, hot-mix-asphalt overlay, signing, pavement marking and beam guard. Three culvert pipes will be replaced. Curb, gutter and storm sewer also will be replaced in Seeley.
- Traffic Impacts: US 63 is open. Lane use will be restricted with flagging operations.
Highway: WIS 27
- Location: City of Hayward
- Schedule: Sept. 3 to November 2019
- Cost: $4 million
- Description: Construction will occur between the Namekagon River Bridge and Michigan Avenue. The County B intersection will be reconstructed with new signals, storm sewer and pavement. Traffic signals will be added at Railroad Street. Final signal synchronization between the County B, Railroad Street and US 63 signals will be completed in late October.
- Traffic Impacts: Truck traffic on County B is being detoured utilizing WIS 27, WIS 77 and County K. Traffic on WIS 27 is reduced to one lane in each direction.
Highway: WIS 35
- Location: Mississippi River Tributary bridges, Trempealeau to Fountain City
- Schedule: April 25 to Sept. 13, 2019
- Cost: $2.8 million
- Description: The project includes bridge replacement, concrete approach slabs, asphaltic pavement, grading, beam guard placement and restoration.
- Traffic Impacts: Traffic will be controlled via temporary traffic signals for all three single lane closures.
Local Road: North Fork Clam River Bridge
- Location: Bakker Road, town of Roosevelt
- Schedule: Aug. 13 to October 2019
- Cost: $260,000
- Description: Work to be performed includes asphalt resurfacing, signing and bridge replacement.
- Traffic Impacts: Heart Lake and Bakker roads will be closed at the bridge. The following locations will be open:
- Heart Lake Road east of Bakker Road
- Bakker Road north of Heart Lake Road
- The intersection of Heart Lake and Bakker roads
Local Road: Curley Creek Avenue
- Location: County H to Panther Creek Road, town of York
- Schedule: July 22 to Sept. 13, 2019
- Cost: $269,000
- Description: The bridge replacement project also will include grading, base aggregate and signing.
- Traffic Impacts: Curley Creek Avenue will be closed within the project limits until Sept. 13. No detour is posted.
Highway: County E
- Location: County N to Willow Road, village of Curtiss
- Schedule: July 15 to Sept. 21, 2019
- Cost: $1.2 million
- Description: The road will be milled and overlaid. The project also includes concrete sidewalk and pedestrian ramps.
- Traffic Impacts: At least one lane will be open to traffic at all times. There is no detour.
Local Road: Meridian Avenue, town of Green Grove
- Location: East Fork Popple River Bridge
- Schedule: Aug. 14 to late September 2019
- Cost: $353,000
- Description: Crews will replace the East Fork Popple River Bridge
- Traffic Impacts: Meridian Avenue will be closed to traffic throughout the project limits. No detour route will be posted. Local access will be maintained.
- Location: 250th Street to Wilson Creek, west of Menomonie
- Schedule: Spring 2018 to Nov. 14, 2019
- Cost: $30.3 million
- Description: Work under this contract consists of grading, base aggregate, concrete pavement, hot-mix-asphalt pavement, new structures, pavement marking, signing, right-of-way fence, median cable barrier, beam guard, traffic control and incidentals.
- Traffic impacts: Eastbound and westbound single lane closures are set during off-peak traffic hours. Closures will be set and removed each day. Both lanes will be open during times of heavy traffic.
- Westbound I-94 traffic is running on a temporary roadway with 12-foot lanes, 2-foot shoulders and barrier wall on both sides. Traffic will be in this configuration until early October.
- Eastbound I-94 traffic is shifted to the shoulder from County K to the east end of the project. Two lanes will be open with both lanes shifted, but intermittent closures will be scheduled during periods of off-peak traffic over the next several weeks.
- The speed limit on I-94 is reduced to 60 mph in either direction throughout the project.
- Intermittent flagging operations at will be taking place at 390th and 250th Street.
- County K and 650th Street are closed to traffic.
Highway: WIS 25
- Location: WIS 170 to WIS 64, near Wheeler
- Schedule: June 12 to October 2019
- Cost: $5.8 million
- Description: The project consists of a four-span bridge replacement and 5.6 miles of asphalt milling and overlay.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 25 is closed from WIS 170 to County N. Motorists should expect daily flagging operations from County N to WIS 64 during construction. Two detours are in place:
- Detour for northbound traffic: Take WIS 170 east out of Wheeler, turn left on County S, then turn left on County N. Continue to WIS 25 and take a right to continue north.
- Detour for southbound traffic: Turn left on County N and continue until the County N-County S intersection. Take a right at County S and continue to WIS 170, turn right on WIS 170, continue on WIS 170 until its intersection with WIS 25 in Wheeler and then turn left to continue south on WIS 25.
Dunn and St. Croix counties
- Location: Between Hudson and Menomonie near Knapp
- Schedule: March 25, 2019 to November 2020
- Cost: $57.5 million
- Description: A variety of work will be performed on the roadway, including milling, paving, temporary bridge construction and utility relocation.
- Traffic impacts: East- and westbound lane closures are in effect on I-94 from WIS 128 to 160th Street.
Highway: WIS 35
- Location: US 63 to Coulee Creek, Hager City to Prescott
- Schedule: July 16 to October 2019
- Cost: $6.6 million
- Description: The project includes excavation, base, hot-mix asphalt, guard rail and pavement marking.
- Traffic Impacts: There will be single-lane closures with flaggers.
Local Road: Broken Arrow Road
- Location: Town of Marshall
- Schedule: July 8 to Sept. 11, 2019
- Cost: $426,000
- Description: Bridge replacement over the Little Jump River.
- Traffic Impacts: Broken Arrow Road is closed with no posted detour.
Highway: WIS 40
- Location: Rusk County line to US 8, city of Bloomer to village of Bruce
- Schedule: July 23 to Sept. 20, 2019
- Cost: $4.8 million
- Description: Work to be performed includes asphalt resurfacing, pavement marking and signing.
- Traffic Impacts: During work hours, traffic will be reduced to one lane with use of flagging operations, and one 12-foot travel lane will be maintained. WIS 40 will reopen to two-way traffic with 12-foot minimum travel lanes during non-working hours.
St. Croix County
- Location: 130th Street and Kinnickinnic River bridges, between Hudson and Baldwin
- Schedule: April 1, 2019 to July 2020
- Cost: $17 million
- Description: Proposed improvements include replacing four structures (two over 130TH Street and two over the Kinnickinnic River) and roughly two miles of approach work.
- Traffic Impacts: During construction, I-94 will remain open to traffic. Closures will be maintained on the inside shoulders of westbound I-94. Speed limits are reduced from 70 mph to 60 mph when a lane is closed. Eastbound traffic has been switched to a temporary road with a posted speed limit of 60 mph; the switch is expected to remain in place until mid-November.
Highway: US 12
- Location: Baldwin to Menomonie
- Schedule: Aug. 5 to October 2019
- Cost: $1 million
- Description: Crews will replace the Dry Run Bridge.
- Traffic Impacts: A detour is in place to reroute US 12 to I-94 via WIS 128 and US 63.
Highway: WIS 54
- Location: US 53 to east county line, Galesville to North Bend
- Schedule: July 15 to November 2019
- Cost: $4.2 million
- Description: The project is a nine-mile rural asphalt paving project including culvert replacement, pipe lining, subgrade improvements, guardrail, new permanent signing and pavement marking.
- Traffic Impacts: WIS 54 is open to traffic under flagging operations, and motorists should expect minor delays.
- Location: Eau Claire to Osseo
- Schedule: April 9, 2019 to October 2020
- Cost: $10 million
- Description: Work will include excavation and placement of base, concrete paving, hot-mix-asphalt paving, standard paving, beam guard installation, pavement marking, signing, fencing, mechanically stabilized earth wall installation and bridge replacements.
- Traffic Impacts: The westbound I-94 driving lane will be closed from 8 p.m. Sundays to 11 a.m. Fridays. Westbound traffic will continue to utilize the temporary lanes built in the median.
Highway: US 63
- Location: Green Valley Road to Greenwood Avenue, Poplar Street to US 63, Shell Lake to Spooner
- Schedule: Aug. 12 to October 2019
- Cost: $3.8 million
- Description: Work will include resurfacing, curb and gutter replacements, signing and pavement marking.
- Traffic Impacts: Work will be performed under daily flagging operations. US 63 will remain open.