This week’s updates from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) on road construction projects for Barron, Burnett, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, and Washburn counties.
Highway: WIS 46 (Keller Avenue)
Location: Snow Street to the York Park entrance, city of Amery
Schedule: May 3 to September
Cost: $1.87 million
Description: Resurfacing WIS 46, reducing the number of traffic lanes to one in each direction with a two-way left-turn lane in the center by adding new lane markings, upgrading traffic signal systems at the intersections of Broadway Street East (County F) and Birch Street to current standards and replacing curb ramps throughout the project limits.
- WIS 46 is reduced to one lane in each direction from Griffin Street to Wisconsin Avenue.
- WIS 46 is closed from Broadway Street East (County F) to Hyland Street for a city reconstruction project.
- Detour: WIS 46, US 63 and US 8.
Highway: County G
Location: Jump River Bridge west of Sheldon
Schedule: April 26 to July
Description: Redecking the bridge.
Traffic impacts: County G is closed at the project site.
Highway: US 53
Location: US 53/WIS 77 intersection in Minong
Schedule: May 3 to late July
Cost: $1.25 million
Description: Reconstructing the existing US 53/WIS 77 intersection as a J-turn, an intersection that reduces conflict points that can lead to crashes at crossings by rerouting left-turning and through traffic from the side road.
Traffic impacts: US 53 will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
Highway: US 53
Location: Between Mackey and Ross roads in the town of Trego
Schedule: March 17, 2021 – November 2022
Cost: $17.65 million
Description: Reconstructing US 53 from Mackey Road to existing US 63, relocating US 63 to closely follow the existing Wild River State Trail and constructing a new grade separated interchange connecting US 53 with realigned US 63, new west frontage road from Mackey Road to County E and turn lanes along US 53 at existing intersections, including Mackey, O'Brien and Ross roads.
- US 53 is reduced to a single lane in both directions, and the speed limit has been reduced from 65 mph to 55 mph.
- North- and southbound US 63 lanes are restricted to 13 feet, and the speed limit has been reduced from 55 mph to 45 mph.
- Temporary signals at the US 53 intersections at County E/Oak Hill Road and US 63 Liesch Road are expected to be activated Monday, June 14.
- Signals on mainline US 53 will flash yellow.
- Signals on the side roads will flash red.
- All signals are anticipated to be placed into full operation the morning of Thursday, June 17.
- A portion of the Wild Rivers State Trail is being detoured.