This week’s updates from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) on road construction projects for Barron, Burnett, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, and Washburn counties.
Northwest Region Pavement Marking
Schedule: May 17 to October
Cost: $1.04 million
Description: Completing longline marking of centerlines and edge lines and special marking of words, arrows, stop bars, diagonals, curbs and crosswalks.
Traffic impacts: Moving lane restrictions are anticipated in:
- Barron County: US 8 from County O to the junction of County SS south and at the north- and southbound US 53 on-ramp intersections and southbound US 53 off-ramp intersection, all in Cameron.
- Sawyer County: WIS 27 at the WIS 70 Ojibwa railroad crossing.
- Washburn County: US 63 from the Barron-Washburn County line to County B East in Shell Lake.
Highway: County B
Location: North Fork Clam River Bridge
Schedule: June 28 to August
Description: Rehabilitating the bridge.
Traffic impacts: County B is closed at the structure; Burnett County has signed a local detour.
Highway: WIS 46 (Keller Avenue)
Location: Snow Street to the York Park entrance, city of Amery
Schedule: May 3 to September
Cost: $1.87 million
Description: Resurfacing WIS 46, reducing the number of traffic lanes to one in each direction with a two-way left-turn lane in the center by adding new lane markings, upgrading traffic signal systems at the intersections of Broadway Street East (County F) and Birch Street to current standards and replacing curb ramps throughout the project limits.
- WIS 46 is closed from Broadway Street East (County F) to Hyland Street for a city reconstruction project.
- Detour: WIS 46, US 63 and US 8
Highway: County M
Location: South county line to County K
Schedule: June 14 to September
Cost: $4.8 million
Description: Pavement replacement project.
Traffic impacts: Traffic is reduced to one lane controlled by flagging operations.
Highway: County B
Location: Middle Fork Main Creek Bridge south of Glen Flora
Schedule: June 14 to late August
Description: Replacing the bridge.
Traffic impacts: County B is closed at the project site.
Highway: County G
Location: Jump River Bridge west of Sheldon
Schedule: April 26 to July
Description: Redecking the bridge.
Traffic impacts: County G is closed at the project site, but it is anticipated to open later today.
Highway: US 53
Location: US 53/WIS 77 intersection in Minong
Schedule: May 3 to late July
Cost: $1.25 million
Description: Reconstructing the existing US 53/WIS 77 intersection as a J-turn, an intersection that reduces conflict points that can lead to crashes at crossings by rerouting left-turning and through traffic from the side road.
Traffic impacts: US 53 is reduced to one lane in each direction, and the speed limit is reduced from 65 mph to 55 mph.
Highway: US 53
Location: Between Mackey and Ross roads in the town of Trego
Schedule: March 17, 2021 – November 2022
Cost: $17.65 million
Description: Reconstructing US 53 from Mackey Road to existing US 63, relocating US 63 to closely follow the existing Wild River State Trail and constructing a new grade separated interchange connecting US 53 with realigned US 63, new west frontage road from Mackey Road to County E and turn lanes along US 53 at existing intersections, including Mackey, O’Brien and Ross roads.
- US 53 is reduced to a single lane in both directions, and the speed limit has been reduced from 65 mph to 55 mph.
- Temporary signals are in operation at the US 53 intersections at County E/Oak Hill Road and US 63/Liesch Road.
- US 63 lanes are restricted to 13 feet, and the speed limit has been reduced from 55 mph to 45 mph.