21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Dennis Stuart
This week's "21 Things You Might Not Know About Me" features Minong Police Cheif, Dennis Stuart.
1. I was born in Milwaukee and grew up in Solon Springs, Wisconsin. My wife, Stephanie, and I have been married for six and a half years and currently live in Frog Creek with our youngest daughter, Brittney, and our two German Shepherds, Max and Mia. Our two older children, Dennis Jr. and Amanda, have left home and are venturing out into this challenging world creating their own paths.
2. I have been the Bell Ringing Coordinator for Salvation Army for 5 years. I enjoy raising money to help people in time of need.
3. I take pride in educating youth and have been a Hunter’s Safety instructor for 13 years. I also teach a segment of Driver’s Education to students at Northwood High School and volunteer by offering tutoring services to children who need extra help with school work.
4. I am State certified as a child safety seat inspector.
5. I have had several successful side businesses over the last 22 years. My most recent business is the Scoop Ice Cream Parlor in Minong.
6. My favorite ice cream flavor is Big Muddy.
7. I enjoy spending my time off taking our grandson’s camping and teaching them about nature and respect.
8. I have been the Minong Police Chief for over 8 years. I am also the Building Inspector and Zoning Administrator for the Village of Minong.
9. I joined the United States Marine Corps in 1988 and served our country proudly for 6 years, including a tour of service during Desert Storm, and ended my active duty career as a Sergeant. I also served 2 years in the Army National Guard.
10. I like woodworking and doing remodeling projects, but most of all I really enjoy laying tile or stone.
11. I have a total of 9 sisters. It was a pretty rough childhood being the only boy! My sisters now live in various locations.
12. Another hobby of mine is restoring old vehicles and motorcycles. My most recent project was a 1965 Ford Mustang.
13. I have taught Concealed Carry since the State allowed conceal and carry.
14. I became an A.L.I.C.E. Instructor in 2014. A.L.I.C.E. is a civilian active shooter training for all organizations or individuals. I and a fellow Officer have taught this to multiple schools and other organizations within Washburn County.
15. My favorite TV mini-series is Band of Brothers. I appreciate the strong unity within the unit. The leadership is exceptional; the leaders taking care of their soldiers and soldiers taking care of their leaders.
16. During my 16 years as a Police Officer I have worked for smaller agencies where I have been the Drug Investigator, Criminal Investigator, and Patrol Officer, in addition to conducting administrative duties.
17. I take pride in continuing education and believe that learning is a lifelong endeavor.
18. I have been a dedicated member of your Washburn County Special Response Team, serving alongside my equally dedicated fellow Officers for almost 12 years; 11 years as Shield Guy, leading our team in.
19. Since I was young I always knew I had a powerful desire, call it an obligation I felt, to protect people. This began for me by joining the United States Marine Corps and then continuing my career in Law enforcement; protecting the unborn to the elderly. I take immense pride in protecting our communities. Serving has been an honor for me, both for the country and Washburn County.
20. The person I admire most is Lewis Burwell “Chesty” Puller. He was a true leader by example and treated all people with respect, facing fear with calmness and steadfastness. He wouldn't ask anyone to do something he wouldn’t do himself.
21. I aspire to be the Washburn County Sheriff and am looking forward to continuing to serve our community in that capacity!
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Ask the Dentist: What Do I Need to Know About Aging and My Oral Health?
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Lolita Olson
- Healthy Minute: kNOw Meth Burnett County
- Ask The Dentist: How Much Do You Know About Your Dental Health?
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Kara Vincent
- If You Didn't Have High Blood Pressure Before, You Might Now
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Faith Tasker
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Michelle Carlson
- 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Tammy Ackerson