21 Things You Might Not Know About Me: Kevin Shetler
Dr. Kevin Shetler is now in his third year as Superintendent of Schools at Siren Schools. Originally from Iowa, Dr. Shetler accepted the Siren Superintendent position on a one-year contract but so impressed the Siren School Board that they offered him the job. He is our featured guest in today’s 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me.
1. I was born in Dubuque, Iowa, the oldest son of Harold (Butch) and Lois Shetler.
2. I have a sister, Kim, who lives in Sauk City, Wisconsin.
3. Out of high school, I attended Loras College in Iowa and received a Bachelor's Degree in Physical Education and Master's Degree in Educational Administration.
4. In high school, I was a three-sport athlete, lettering in football, track, and baseball at Dubuque Hempstead, with a class size of 480 students.
5. My wife Julie and I have six children between us: Ethan, Tanner, Kaelan, Kylie, Morgan and Olivia. My wife and I actually met in Siren and work together at the school.
6. The summer I graduated from college I spent a week in the Bahamas. One afternoon, I was stopped on the beach by a Secret Service agent who was guarding former President Ronald Reagan, who was swimming. I got to say hello to the ex-president.
7. I have been a Public School Superintendent for 12 years, including three at Siren.
8. When I was in sixth grade I participated in a square dancing performance for parents during a spring program. I am no dancer!
9. I was a two-time National Qualifier as a Division III track athlete in sprint relays.
10. My middle name is Lynn. It's true, friends!
11. Edgewood College in Madison is where I received my Doctorate in Educational Administration.
12. I received a certificate in a professional development program in "Leadership Communications" from Harvard University in 2016.
13. My favorite hobbies are reading and exercising outdoors with my wife Julie and the deer flies that clearly have an affection for me.
14. I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan.
15. My wife and I ran in the Twin Cities Marathon in October of 2016.
16. I love to drink coffee and am a frequent customer at the "Chattering Squirrel."
17. I went downhill skiing for the first time this winter. We went to Spirit Mountain in Duluth.
18. As a college student, I mopped floors, cleaned urinals, waxed floors and cleaned windows in the campus athletic facility as a job all four years.
19. My nickname in high school was "Shets."
20. My two favorite authors are Patricia Cornwell and Dr. John Maxwell.
21. I love to swim in the ocean.
If you would like to be featured in an upcoming 21 Things You Might Not Know About Me, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on Facebook at facebook.com/drydenwire for more information.