TREGO, Wis. -- The arrival of winter has pushed the completion of the US 53/63 interchange project in the Washburn County town of Trego into 2023.
The new interchange opened to traffic Oct. 25, and all US 63, County E and local traffic are using the interchange to access the new roadways constructed during the past two construction seasons.
Remaining work on the project includes placing asphalt pavement on Service Loop, landscaping, installing permanent pavement marking and completing final project cleanup.
Work in 2023 is anticipated to start in mid-April and be completed before Memorial Day weekend.
Construction of the Trego interchange began in March 2021 to address safety and operational issues. Crashes that have occurred along US 53 in the Trego area resulted in a crash rate that exceeded the state average for similar type facilities. In addition, seasonal peaks in traffic due to the highly recreational nature of the region resulted in significant traffic delays at the US 53/63 at-grade intersection for westbound US 63 traffic wanting to enter onto southbound US 53.
To address these, WisDOT replaced the at-grade intersection with an interchange.
Construction also included:
- Reconstructing US 53 from Mackey Road to existing US 63.
- Relocating US 63 to closely follow the existing Wild Rivers State Trail.
- Constructing a new west frontage road from Mackey Road to County E.
- Constructing turn lanes along US 53 at existing intersections including Mackey, O’Brien and Ross roads.
- Removing the Lakeside Road Bridge.
Last Update: Dec 06, 2022 3:18 pm CST