Daylight Saving Time ends Sunday, November 6, 2016

Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday as we “fall back” and set clocks back one hour. This is also a great time to check the things that keep us safe and ready for emergencies such as smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

“This fall, we’ve already had reports of people taken to the hospital after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning," said Brian Satula, Wisconsin Emergency Management Administrator. “Earlier this week, 17 people were hospitalized in Manitowoc for carbon monoxide poisoning. It is important to have a carbon monoxide detector at your and business to alert you to this colorless, odorless, and potentially deadly gas.”

Every year, on average, about 450 people in Wisconsin seek medical treatment at hospitals for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Symptoms include headaches, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea, and confusion. At high levels, carbon monoxide can cause death within minutes. If you suspect you or someone may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, or your detector sounds an alarm, go outside immediately for fresh air and call 911.

Officials say often times the source of the carbon monoxide is a malfunctioning home furnace. “As we turn back the clocks, it’s important also to check home devices that protect us from carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Karen McKeown, State Health Officer. “To prepare for winter weather, Wisconsin residents should ensure their source of heat and their carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order.”

To protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide, follow these safety tips:

  • Make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors. All homes and duplexes in Wisconsin are required to have detectors on every level, including the basement, but not the attic or storage areas. Detectors can be purchased at most hardware stores.
  • Have your furnace or wood-burning stove inspected annually. Hire a professional to make sure it is functionally sound and vents properly outside the home.
  • Never run a gasoline or propane heater or a grill (gas or charcoal) inside your home in an unventilated garage, cabin, recreational vehicle, or tent. Any heating system that burns fuel produces carbon monoxide.
  • Never run a car in an enclosed space. If a vehicle is running, you must have a door open to the outside.

Generators should be run a safe distance from the home. Never run a generator in the home or garage, or right next to windows or doors.

Don’t forget to put in fresh batteries.

Smoke Detectors- Did you know that more than one-third of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.   The National Fire Protection Association says risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms. Also, smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years. If you don’t know when the alarm was installed, you can check the back of the detector for the date of manufacture. Finally, now is the time to put in fresh batteries.

Emergency Kits- Everyone should have a basic emergency kit in home with supplies such as food and water to last you and your family for at least three days. Other items like a battery powered or crank radio, flashlights, first aid kit should also be included. If you already have a kit, check it to make sure food and other items are not near or past their expiration dates. Also, this is a great time to put together your winter emergency kit for your vehicles. Include items such as a flashlight, shovel, blanket, gloves and hats, non-perishable food and bottled water.

 


Share This Article