Drop the Puck: Hockey Happenings
Bantams in Playdowns this Week in Spooner!
The Spooner/Cumberland Bantam Co-Op Team will be playing in Playdowns at the SPOONER Civic Center on Saturday, February 3rd at 12 noon! Come out and support the team – let’s fill up the Civic Center.
- ban·tam [ˈban(t)əm] a small and feisty or quarrelsome person. adjective. In hockey – a team made up of 7th and 8th grade players
- co-op [ˈkōˌäp] a cooperative society, business, or enterprise. Noun.
- playdown [pleɪdaʊn] a game or match forming part of a play-off.
The Spooner/Cumberland Bantam team will be playing in the Wisconsin Amateur Hockey Association’s (WAHA) Region 1- 4A playdowns. The team is coached by Nick Freeman, Bill Capra and Cody Field. Coach Freeman’s quote for the team for the year has been – “Trust your Team, Trust your Coach, Trust Yourself!” The team has taken this to heart and have gotten along “amazingly well” according to Shauna Cleveland a players mom.
With a victory the Spooner/Cumberland Bantam team will secure a spot in the WAHA’s State Tournament that will be held in Sparta, Wisconsin on March 3rd and 4th, 2018. Check out HERE for more information.
Player Highlight - Nicholas Adler – Bantam Player
- Player’s Name – Nicholas Adler
- Player’s School Grade – 8th grade
- School Player Attends – Spooner Middle School
- Player’s SAYHA team - Bantams
- What does the player like the most about playing hockey? - Playing with friends
- When did the player start playing hockey? 2 yrs old
- What are the player's strengths on the ice? Skating and shooting the puck
- What is the player working on on the ice? Checking and puck handling
- Other fun facts - Nicholas is 6’2” tall and hopes to pass his dad by the end of the year. Nicholas is only 13 years old!
After the Bantam Game…… Come out to the Meat Raffle (to celebrate the win!)
Meat Raffle is this Saturday, February 3rd, 2018 at 3 pm at Hub’s Riverbend in Trego. This Meat Raffle will feature all meats from Louie's Finer Meats, Inc.!! Our special round will be SURF & TURF...just in time to win a Valentine's Dinner!
Pictures from other SAYHA action this week
Spooner Area Youth Hockey Association – powered by DrydenWire – the official sponsor of SAYHA