TREGO, Wis. -- Construction is set to start Monday, May 1, 2023, on the final work that is part of a project addressing safety and operational issues on US 53 in the Washburn County town of Trego, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
Once construction resumes, work will include:
- Paving Service Loop Road.
- Placing permanent pavement marking.
- Landscaping disturbed areas.
- Completing any final tasks.
During construction, motorists will encounter the following traffic impacts on:
- US 53: Single-lane closures. The interchange ramps will remain open.
- US 63: Daytime single-lane closures controlled by flagging.
- Service Loop Road: The road will be closed temporarily in the area of asphalt paving; however, access to businesses and residences will be maintained.
- Other local roads: Single-lane or shoulder closures controlled by flagging as necessary.
Crashes that occurred along US 53 in the Trego area had resulted in a crash rate that exceeded the state average for similar type facilities. In addition, seasonal peaks in traffic due to the highly recreational nature of the region resulted in significant traffic delays at the US 53/63 at-grade intersection for westbound US 63 traffic wanting to enter onto US 53. Those spurred construction of the new interchange, which opened to traffic in October 2022.
- Reconstructing US 53 from Mackey Road to the former east leg of US 63.
- Relocating US 63 to closely follow the existing Wild Rivers State Trail.
- Constructing a new grade-separated interchange connecting US 53 with realigned US 63.
- Constructing a new west frontage road from Mackey Road to County E.
- Constructing turn lanes along US 53 at existing intersections including Mackey, O’Brien and Ross roads.
Mashuda Contractors, Inc., of Princeton, is the prime contractor for the project, which will be complete in early June.
Last Update: Apr 27, 2023 6:07 pm CDT