Town of Dewey — A fire at a residence located several miles west of Shell Lake just into Burnett County has resulted in a total and complete loss of the home.

The fire started in the bathroom of the residence at 1574 County Road B in Burnett County at approximately 7:30a this morning Wednesday, December 11, 2019.

Multiple Fire Departments responded including the Shell Lake Fire Department, Spooner Fire Department, and the Hertel Fire Department.

Seven people were in the home — which is two mobile homes joined together — at the time of the fire. The homeowner noticed the fire and attempted to extinguish it with a hose but was unsuccessful as the fire quickly spread throughout the home.

“We are just thankful that everyone made it out safely,” said a family member who was in the home at the time of the fire to DrydenWire this morning. The family also said that other than the person who attempted to put out the fire, who suffered only minor injuries with singing to his face and hand, everyone was safe.

Adding to the intensity of the fire were wood logs located inside the home as the family used a wood stove for heating.

Editor’s Note: Far too often these stories include a fatality. Thankfully this one did not and the family is safe. We also want to take a minute and say thank you to our local firefighters that battled sub-zero temperatures while on scene this morning. They, along with firefighters everywhere, continue to put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe. 

Last Update: Dec 12, 2019 4:32 pm CST

Share This Article