Give Your Family the Gift of WIC this Holiday Season
Save money and help your family get healthier with the Women Infants and Children (WIC) program. WIC provides education on how to eat healthy, support for breastfeeding, healthy foods to stretch your budget, and helps families connect to services in the community including medical and dental.
WIC is for low and moderate income pregnant, breastfeeding or postpartum women, infants and children up to age 5. Many working families qualify for WIC. Pregnant, breastfeeding, or postpartum women and children up to age 5 who receive Badger Care may also qualify for WIC.
“I like WIC because they help me. With WIC I can save money for shoes and clothes for my kids,” reports one mother.
WIC members meet with dieticians at least twice a year to talk about different foods, how their kids are growing, and ideas on how to help their family get healthier. WIC also offers online education for families.
“WIC helps us keep an eye on our kid’s growth,” states another participant. “It helps us know what types of food to offer and the amount as our kids get older. They help me come up with ideas to get my kids to eat vegetables.”
WIC has switched to a card that is used like a “debit card” for WIC foods. Families select WIC foods from an approved list, check out at the store like normal and swipe their WIC card first. The WIC card pays for the WIC foods, then the family continues to pay for the remaining foods. There is no need to separate WIC foods. Families tell us that switching to the new card is much easier than trying to keep track of the old WIC checks.
Stretch your budget and get healthier this holiday season with WIC. Go to https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/wic or call the Barron County WIC office at 715-537-5691 x5001 for more information and to see if your family may qualify today.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- 5th Annual 'The Art of Film' Series to Continue This Saturday
- Sea Scallop Ravioli in Perlick’s Vodka Sauce on Special This Week @ The Roost!
- This Week's Great Deals from Economart - 12/11 to 12/17
- Events & Activities in Washburn County this Week - 12/11 to 12/17
- You are Invited to Take an Around-the-World Trip this Winter
- Ask the Dentist: What Type of Gifts Does a Dentist Give for Christmas?
- Rabies Control: Don’t Let a Dog Bite Ruin your Holiday Season
- Opinion: After My Family’s 15 Year Battle, Property Rights in Wisconsin Have Been Restored
- Northwest Land and Recreation Hosting 7th-Annual Christmas Gift Drive