The Spooner Area Youth Hockey is 501(c)(3) non-profit association that represents 138 skaters in the Spooner Area. The Spooner Area is defined by the Wisconsin Amateur Hockey Association (WAHA) as the area that includes the school districts of Spooner, Shell Lake and Northwoods. The SAYHA Board of Directors consists of 11 directors and members are parents of the 138 skaters.
"The mission of The Spooner Area Youth Hockey Association is to develop a sustainable hockey program with multiple teams at every level that will support a varsity high school hockey team in Washburn County, Wisconsin."
Unlike other sports, hockey is not administered through school districts or community education until the high school level. SAYHA is the current feeder organization for The Spooner Area School District and The School District of Shell Lake boys high school hockey program.
Highlights of SAYHA's 2018 Annual Report are:
- Registered 138 skaters
- Reduced registration fees at all levels
- Managed a $60,000 budget
- Hosted referee and goalie clinics
- Negotiated ice contract with The Spooner Civic Center
- Flooded and maintained the ice rinks at the Outdoor Rink at Spooner City Park on College Street
- Equipped over 70 skaters with full hockey gear (estimated $20,000 value)
- Brought tournaments back to Spooner for four weekends this winter
- Maintained a scholarship fund through an aluminum can collection
- Managed over 1,000 hours of volunteer work
- Administered fundraising activities such as gun raffle, purse bingo, meat raffles, soup sales and community activities such as Jack Frost Fest, Jack Pine Savage Days, Spooner Rodeo and Jack-O Lantern Festival.
For more information; check out SpoonerHockey.com or SAYHA President Tim Salo at firstname.lastname@example.org