WASHBURN COUNTY -- As early as Tuesday, Sept. 5, the intersection of northbound US 53 and WIS 77 East will be closed to traffic because of pavement patching that is part of a pavement preservation project on northbound US 53 in Washburn County from Business 53 on the south side of Minong to Lakeside Drive.
Traffic will be detoured via Business 53, with access to Business 53 both north and south of Minong. The detour is expected to be in place for a maximum of three weeks.
The intersection of southbound US 53 and WIS 77 West will remain open to traffic, but motorists wanting to access WIS 77 East will need to use the Business 53 roadway and ramps.
Construction on northbound US 53 began in July. This segment of US 53 is aging and starting to show signs of deterioration, so the Wisconsin Department of Transportation project is:
- Repairing or replacing concrete pavement.
- Resurfacing the existing asphalt shoulders and refreshing the existing gravel shoulders.
- Cleaning or repairing culverts.
- Placing shoulder rumble strips.
- Updating pavement markings.
Construction is scheduled for completion in October.