Police, School Issue Joint Press Release on Threat at Menomonie School HS
Editor's Note: The following is a joint press release from the Menomonie Police Department and the School District of the Menomonie Area regarding the school threat today, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, that led to a lockdown.
Dear Families and Stakeholders of the School District of the Menomonie Area,
Today, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, the attached message threatening a gun-related incident was found in a bathroom at Menomonie High School. The note said, "I'm going to shoot up this (expletive) school."
Immediately upon discovery of the note, the Menomonie Police Department was contacted and preventative security measures were taken to prioritize the health and safety of the students and staff in our school. Students and staff initiated lockdown procedures, and a search of the buildings and grounds was conducted.
Following a search of the school, and after several interviews of potential witnesses were conducted, individual classrooms of students and staff were cleared for release. Even though no weapons were found at the school, the Menomonie Police Department will maintain a strong presence at Menomonie High School for the remainder of the school day, and additional security measures will be taken to monitor the entrances and exits at our school.
We apologize for the inconvenience and unnecessary anxiety that this situation puts on the students, staff and community in our school district, but please know that we are doing everything that we can to investigate this crime and bring the perpetrators to justice. Even though threats like these are becoming more common, please know that we will not let down our guard, and we will continue to keep the safety and security of our students and staff as our highest priority.
This incident remains under investigation by the Menomonie Police Department and anyone with information is asked to contact the MPD at 715‐232‐2198. Anonymous tips may be submitted through Dunn County Crime Stoppers (www.dunncocrimestoppers.com). Thank you for your continued trust and support.
Joe Zydowsky, District ADministrator
School District of the Menomonie Area
Eric Atkinson, Chief of Police
Menomonie Police Department
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Arrest by Spooner Police Leads to Charges of OWI with Kids in Car, Possession of Meth
- Spooner Area School District Election Notice for School Board
- Spooner Police Activity Log for October, 2017
- Additional Charges Filed Against Woman Involved in Possible Overdose Incident at Siren School
- Siren Police Dept. Asking for Public's Help Identifying This Person
- One Arrested After Allegedly Shooting at Man; Police Seeking 2nd Person for Questioning
- Clear Lake Police Dept. Asking for Public's Help Identifying this Vehicle & Subject
- Shell Lake Police Monthly Report from 10/9 to 11/8
- Turtle Lake Police Seeking Public's Help Identifying Suspects