WARNING! This story contains graphic material and may not be suitable for all readers.
BARRON COUNTY — A Jury has found Shell Lake, WI man, Shayne Trudelle, guilty of the criminal charges filed against him following an undercover sex sting case conducted by Barron County Law Enforcement.
A 2 day jury trial was held in Barron County Circuit Court on September 24 and 25, 2018 regarding Trudelle’s criminal charges of Class C Felony Use a Computer to Facilitate a Child Sex Crime, Class D Felony Child Enticement-Sexual Contact, Class I Felony Possession of Methamphetamine, Misdemeanor Carry Concealed Weapon, Class I Felony Attempt Expose Child to Harmful Materials, and Class C Felony Attempt 2nd Degree Sexual Assault of Child.
The criminal complaint filed against Trudelle states that on February 14, 2018, a Rice Lake Police Officer initiated an undercover investigation in which the officer responded to an online advertisement titled: “I’m Looking to Suck and Swallow”. The advertisement indicated that a 42-year-old male was looking for a younger male to perform sexual acts with. In the response to the advertisement, the officer purported to be a young male.
Less than an hour after sending the reply to the advertisement, the Officer received 2 emails from an individual, later identified as Shayne Trudelle. An exchange of messages ensued, in which the officer identified that the person responding to Trudelle was a 15-year-old male. Trudelle responded with his phone number in order to exchange text messages with the purported 15-year-old boy.
Trudelle went on to request photos of male genitalia from the “boy”, and also sent photos of male genitalia to the “boy”.
A few days later on February 21, 2018, Trudelle texted the “boy”, “When we getting together?” In the text conversation that followed, Trudelle told the “boy” that he wanted to meet in his car and that he liked “making out”, and engaging in other sexual acts.
A portion of the text conversation between Trudelle and the “boy” was included in the criminal complaint filed against Trudelle and follows below:
- Officer: When do you wanna?
- Shayne Trudelle: After Im done with work?
- Officer: Will you be in RL? 3 am is kinda late for a 15 year old…
- Shayne Trudelle: You said you were up all night anyway
- Officer: Yeah I usually am. What ya wanna do and where
- Shayne Trudelle: I guess my car...I like making out, s------, rimming, f------
- Officer: Whats rimming?
- Shayne Trudelle: Eating a--
- Shayne Trudelle: Licking your butt
- Officer: So you want me to do that or you want to do that to me?
- Shayne Trudelle: I do it to you
- Officer: Ya id like that
- Shayne Trudelle: You will…
- Officer: Where would you wanna meet
- Shayne Trudelle: Where ever. I could get a room.
- Officer: Well you decide. What else you wanna do
- Shayne Trudelle: P--- on each other
- Officer: Never done that before but Im down
- Shyane Trudelle: Want you to p--- in my mouth
- Officer: Ur naughty
- Shayne Trudelle: Yup
- Officer: So whats the plan? I’m excited now
- Shayne Trudelle: Ill be in rl after work
- Officer: So you want to meet at a hotel or somewhere else?
- Shayne Trudelle: Not sure yet maybe somewhere else
- Officer: What about the strip mall by walmart?
- Shayne Trudelle: At 3am? Rather meet somewhere else
- Officer: Ok thats cool where?
- Shayen Trudelle: Super 8
Ultimately it was agreed that the “boy” would meet Trudelle at Microtel Inn and Suites in Rice Lake on February 22, 2018.
When the Officer went to Microtel Inn and Suites, Trudelle had not checked in. During another text conversation, Trudelle again requested to meet in his car, asking, “would you be cool with a lil fooling around in the car this time?” A plan was made in which Trudelle would pick up the “boy” at the Kohl’s parking lot in Rice Lake, WI.
At around 9p, additional officers stationed themselves in the area of the Kohl’s parking lot and saw Trudelle’s vehicle arrive less than an hour later.
Several officers converged on Trudelle’s vehicle. When Trudelle exited his vehicle, officers saw that the zipper and button on his pants were undone and his belt was not fastened.
During a search of Trudelle’s vehicle, officers located a Smith and Wesson 9mm handgun as well as a syringe, a gem bag containing suspected methamphetamine, and $278 in cash. While Trudelle was being booked into the Barron County Jail, 2 more gem bags containing a white substance which later tested positive for methamphetamine were found in his clothing along with another syringe.
During the Jury Trial, the State provided numerous exhibits for the Jury to review, including the advertisement that had been posted online. The jury heard testimony from the investigating officers on the case, as well an analyst from the Wisconsin State Crime Lab.
Trudelle has been found guilty of all counts filed against him after the jury deliberated for just over 2 hours according to online circuit court records. The Court revoked Trudelle’s $10,000 signature bail bond.
A sentencing hearing for Trudelle is scheduled for late November 2018.