This week’s updates from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) on road construction projects for Barron, Burnett, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, and Washburn counties.
Highway: WIS 48
- Location: Hay River Flowage, Cumberland
- Schedule: March 28 to August
- Cost: $1.24 million
- Description: Replacing a culvert with a bridge, bridge approaches and guardrail.
- Traffic impacts: WIS 48 is open to one lane of traffic controlled by temporary signals, there is a 14-foot maximum width restriction in the work zone, and the speed limit has been reduced to 25 mph.
Highway: US 63
- Location: Greenwood Avenue to Poplar Street, Spooner
- Schedule: March 28 to November
- Cost: $8.2 million
- Description: Reconstructing US 63 from WIS 70 to Poplar Street with new pavement, sidewalk, curb and gutter; reconstructing the US 63/WIS 70 intersection; rehabilitating US 63 from Greenwood Avenue to WIS 70 by milling the existing asphalt and overlaying the road with new asphalt; converting US 63 from Greenwood Avenue to Poplar Street to a three-lane road, with one lane for traffic in each direction and a two-way left-turn lane in the center to improve safety and reduce overall corridor travel times; installing new sanitary and storm sewer and water main; improving pedestrian access to meet current Americans With Disabilities Act standards at intersections; and installing new street lighting, pavement marking and signing.
- Traffic impacts: US 63 is closed to from Linn Street to Poplar Street; the detour is WIS 48 and US 53. WIS 70 is closed from Summit Street to Front Street; the detour is WIS 35, WIS 48 and US 53.