This week’s updates from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) on road construction projects for Barron, Burnett, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, and Washburn counties.
Highway: County P
- Location: County A North to 7th Street
- Schedule: June 12 to September
- Cost: $2.54 million
- Description: Pulverizing and relaying the existing pavement, placing asphalt pavement, completing culvert work and placing pavement markings.
- Traffic impacts: County P is closed to through traffic.
Highway: County SS
- Location: Chetek River Bridge in Chetek
- Schedule: May 3 to July
- Cost: $956,783
- Description: Replacing the bridge deck and girders, repairing and patching the abutments and making minor approach improvements.
- Traffic impacts: County SS is closed at the bridge, with traffic being detoured via County M, US 53 and County I.
Highway: WIS 70
- Location: St. Croix River Bridge west of Grantsburg
- Schedule: June 21 to October
- Cost: $1.25 million
- Description: Overlaying the bridge deck with concrete, making concrete structure repairs, repairing bridge joints, placing a polymer overlay on the sidewalk and replacing missing riprap, guardrail and approach pavement.
- Traffic impacts: The bridge is reduced to a single lane of traffic controlled by temporary signals.
Highway: US 63
- Location: St. Croix/Polk County line to County J south of the village of Clayton
- Schedule: April 12 to late September
- Cost: $5.71 million
- Description: Replacing the pedestrian underpass east of 7th Street in the village of Clear Lake; milling off 2 inches of asphalt pavement and placing 3.25 inches of new asphalt; adding shoulder gravel to accommodate the highway profile increase; realigning the approach of County A/F at US 63 to achieve better sight distance at the intersection; realigning the approach of 60th Avenue at US 63; expanding the intersection tapers to meet current design standards; replacing guardrail; and cleaning, lining or repairing culverts and installing new end walls on some structures.
- Traffic impacts: Motorists will encounter:
- Lane closures controlled by flagging in work areas.
- The closure of County A at US 63. This will remain closed during the Fourth of July shutdown
Highway: WIS 65
- Location: North junction of Jewell Street in the St. Croix County village of Star Prairie to US 8 in the Polk County town of Balsam Lake
- Schedule: May 15 to September
- Cost: $8.85 million
- Description: Removing a portion of the existing asphalt pavement, overlaying the roadway with new asphalt pavement, creating a narrow, paved shoulder and reconstructing three areas of substandard vertical curves – one between the St. Croix/Polk County line and the curve just to the north and two stretches between 28th and 38th avenues in the Polk County town of Alden.
- Traffic impacts: WIS 65 is closed to through traffic, and traffic is being detoured via WIS 64, WIS 46 and US 8.
Highway: County B
- Location: Main Creek Bridge south of Glen Flora
- Schedule: May 30 to September
- Cost: $737,856
- Description: Replacing the bridge.
- Traffic impacts: County B is closed at the bridge.
- No current projects
Highway: WIS 77
- Location: County I west of the village of Minong east to County M
- Schedule: April 10 to late July
- Cost: $8.48 million
- Description: Removing a portion of the existing pavement and placing new asphalt pavement; cleaning, repairing or installing new culverts; reconstructing sidewalk curb ramps in the village of Minong; replacing deteriorated curb and gutter in the village of Minong; replacing guardrail; placing centerline rumble strips in rural areas; and installing new pavement markings.
- Traffic impacts: Motorists will encounter lane closures controlled by flagging in work zones in the rural segments.
Highway: US 53
- Location: Pine Grove Road southeast of Shell Lake to Wildcat Road southeast of Spooner
- Schedule: Aug. 15, 2022, to October 2023
- Cost: $16.8 million
- Description: Removing the existing pavement and a portion of the existing base course; placing a new base aggregate layer for drainage and new concrete pavement; replacing storm sewer, culverts, curb and gutter; reconstructing the approaches to US 53 from existing intersections; replacing shoulder rumble strips; and placing pavement markings.
- Traffic impacts: One lane of traffic in each direction is being maintained on the southbound lanes. This restriction will be in place for the Fourth of July shutdown.