This week’s updates from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) on road construction projects for Barron, Burnett, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, and Washburn counties.
Highway: County SS
- Location: Chetek River Bridge in Chetek
- Schedule: May 3 to July
- Cost: $956,783
- Description: Replacing the bridge deck and girders, repairing and patching the abutments and making minor approach improvements.
- Traffic impacts: County SS is closed at the bridge, with traffic being detoured via County M, US 53 and County I.
Highway: County A
- Location: Christner Road to County E northwest of Spooner
- Schedule: May 1 to late May
- Cost: $755,778
- Description: Pulverizing and relaying the existing pavement, placing new asphalt pavement and installing pavement markings.
- Traffic impacts: County A is open to local traffic only.
Highway: US 63
- Location: St. Croix/Polk County line to County J south of the village of Clayton
- Schedule: April 12 to late September
- Cost: $5.71 million
- Description: Replacing the pedestrian underpass east of 7th Street in the village of Clear Lake; milling off 2 inches of asphalt pavement and placing 3.25 inches of new asphalt; adding shoulder gravel to accommodate the highway profile increase; realigning the approach of County A/F at US 63 to achieve better sight distance at the intersection; realigning the approach of 60th Avenue at US 63; expanding the intersection tapers to meet current design standards; replacing guardrail; and cleaning, lining or repairing culverts and installing new end walls on some structures.
- Traffic impacts: US 63 is reduced to a single lane of traffic at the pedestrian underpass east of 7th Street in Clear Lake.
- Traffic is controlled by temporary signals, and 7th Street South is closed.
- Lane closures controlled by flagging are being used as necessary for work along the project corridor.
Highway: WIS 65
- Location: North junction of Jewell Street in the St. Croix County village of Star Prairie to US 8 in the Polk County town of Balsam Lake
- Schedule: May 15 to September
- Cost: $8.85 million
- Description: Removing a portion of the existing asphalt pavement, overlaying the roadway with new asphalt pavement, creating a narrow, paved shoulder and reconstructing three areas of substandard vertical curves – one between the St. Croix/Polk County line and the curve just to the north and two stretches between 28th and 38th avenues in the Polk County town of Alden.
- Traffic impacts: WIS 65 is closed to through traffic, with full road closure from County Line Avenue to West Church Road.
- Detour route: WIS 64, WIS 46 and US 8.
No current projects.
Highway: US 63
- Location: Smith Lake Creek between California and Davis avenues, Hayward
- Schedule: May 15 to late June
- Cost: $585,100
- Description: Replacing the culvert, installing a new apron and end walls with heavy riprap and replacing storm sewer, disturbed pavement, sidewalk and signage.
- Traffic impacts: US 63 is closed to traffic, with the following detours:
- Cars and local traffic: WIS 27, Railroad Street and WIS 77.
- Truck traffic: US 53 and WIS 77.
Highway: County K
- Location: County F to WIS 77 southwest of Minong
- Schedule: May 1 to early June
- Cost: $1.34 million
- Description: Pulverizing and relaying the existing pavement, placing asphalt pavement and installing new pavement markings.
- Traffic impacts: County K remains open to traffic, but motorists might encounter daytime lane closures controlled by flagging.
Highway: WIS 77
- Location: County I west of the village of Minong east to County M
- Schedule: April 10 to late July
- Cost: $8.48 million
- Description: Removing a portion of the existing pavement and placing new asphalt pavement; cleaning, repairing or installing new culverts; reconstructing sidewalk curb ramps in the village of Minong; replacing deteriorated curb and gutter in the village of Minong; replacing guardrail; placing centerline rumble strips in rural areas; and installing new pavement markings.
- Traffic impacts: Motorists on eastbound WIS 77 will encounter a shoulder closure in the village of Minong for curb and gutter work.
Highway: US 53
- Location: Pine Grove Road southeast of Shell Lake to Wildcat Road southeast of Spooner
- Schedule: Aug. 15, 2022, to October 2023
- Cost: $16.8 million
- Description: Removing the existing pavement and a portion of the existing base course; placing a new base aggregate layer for drainage and new concrete pavement; replacing storm sewer, culverts, curb and gutter; reconstructing the approaches to US 53 from existing intersections; replacing shoulder rumble strips; and placing pavement markings.
- Traffic impacts: One lane of traffic in each direction is being maintained on the southbound lanes.
Highway: US 53
- Location: Between Mackey and Ross roads in the town of Trego
- Schedule: March 17, 2021, to late May 2023
- Cost: $17.65 million
- Description: Reconstructing US 53 from Mackey Road to existing US 63, relocating US 63 to closely follow the existing Wild Rivers State Trail and constructing a new grade separated interchange connecting US 53 with realigned US 63, new west frontage road from Mackey Road to County E and turn lanes along US 53 at existing intersections, including Mackey, O’Brien and Ross roads.
- Traffic impacts: None; project complete.