WASHBURN COUNTY -- Work on a multiyear $17.59 pavement replacement project on US 53 from Pine Grove Road in the town of Sarona to Wildcat Road in the town of Beaver Brook in Washburn County is set to resume the week of April 10.
Hoffman Construction Co. of Black River Falls is the prime contractor for the project, which began in 2022, with the construction of median crossovers to be used this year to switch traffic.
Originally placed in the mid-1980s, this 6.5-mile segment of US 53 has reached the end of its service life. To address this, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation project will:
- Remove the existing pavement and a portion of the existing base course.
- Place a new base aggregate layer for drainage and new concrete pavement.
- Replace storm sewer, culverts, curb and gutter.
- Reconstruct the approaches to US 53 from existing intersections.
- Replace shoulder rumble strips.
- Place pavement marking.
During construction, one lane of traffic will operate in each direction on one side of US 53 as the other side is being constructed. The northbound lanes are scheduled to be rebuilt first, and northbound traffic will be switched to the southbound lanes Monday, April 17 and will stay in that configuration until early July. Once the new lanes are complete, traffic will be switched to the northbound lanes, so the southbound side of US 53 can be rebuilt.
Construction is scheduled to be completed in October.