SPOONER, Wis. -- According to Schmitz's Economart Facebook page, they have received reports from two people stating that they had received a call from a number that their caller ID shows as coming from "Schmit's Economart".
Economart says that are not giving anything away this week so do not be fooled.
"I was told by the police chief that this has also happened recently with Spooner City Hall as the caller id. Don't give them any of your personal information," the post concluded.
Scammers can fake caller ID info
FTC l News Release
Your phone rings. You recognize the number, but when you pick up, it’s someone else. What’s the deal?
Scammers are using fake caller ID information to trick you into thinking they are someone local, someone you trust – like a government agency or police department, or a company you do business with – like your bank or cable provider. The practice is called caller ID spoofing, and scammers don’t care whose phone number they use. One scammer recently used the phone number of an FTC employee.
Don’t rely on caller ID to verify who’s calling. It can be nearly impossible to tell whether the caller ID information is real. Here are a few tips for handling these calls:
- If you get a strange call from the government, hang up. If you want to check it out, visit the official (.gov) website for contact information. Government employees won’t call out of the blue to demand money or account information.
- Don’t give out — or confirm — your personal or financial information to someone who calls.
- Don’t wire money or send money using a reloadable card. In fact, never pay someone who calls out of the blue, even if the name or number on the caller ID looks legit.
- Feeling pressured to act immediately? Hang up. That’s a sure sign of a scam.
Want more tips for avoiding scams? Check out 10 Ways to Avoid Fraud.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- This Week at Economart: 'Celebrate Summer'
- 'Grillin Smart' - Shop Smart, Shop Economart
- Giveaway Saturday: Four $25 Economart Gift Cards!
- 'Celebrate Summer' This Week at Economart
- This Week at Economart 'Happy Father's Day'
- Authorities: Situation at Gordon Correctional Due to Phone Threats to the Camp
- 'Summer Starters' This Week at Economart
- Tips to Avoid Becoming a Victim of a Scam Post Barron County Storm
- Caught in the Act: Area Resident Records Scam Caller