Editor's Note: This press release was a part of yesterday's Grand Jury Returns Indictments on Multiple Wisconsin Cases posted on DrydenWire.com.
Mark W. Lewis, 55, Rice Lake, Wis., is charged with two counts of possessing methamphetamine with the intent to distribute. The indictment alleges that he possessed methamphetamine on August 12 and September 21, 2016. The indictment further alleges that on September 21, 2016, he possessed 50 grams or more of methamphetamine.
The indictment also charges Lewis with possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime. The indictment alleges that on August 12, 2016, he possessed a .22 caliber handgun.
If convicted, Lewis faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison on the first drug charge, and a mandatory minimum penalty of five years and a maximum of 40 years on the charge alleging 50 grams or more of methamphetamine. He faces a mandatory penalty of five years on the possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime charge. Federal law requires that this penalty be served consecutive to any sentence imposed on the drug charge.
The charges against him are the result of an investigation by the Washburn and Sawyer County Sheriffs’ Departments, Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation, and Federal Bureau of Investigation. The prosecution of this case is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney David Reinhard.
Pursuant to the direction of the Wisconsin Supreme Court, as found in Supreme Court Rule 20:3.6, Trial Publicly, you are advised that a charge is merely an accusation and that a defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Shell Lake Police Monthly Report from 6/13 to 7/10
- Shell Lake Man To Serve Remaining Jail Time on Felony Fleeing Charges
- Court Denies Bail Bond Modification Request for Man Charged With Felony Burglary
- Suspected Drug House Located in Spooner after Traffic Stop by Spooner Police
- 2-Month Long Investigation into Meth Trafficking Results in Arrest of Shell Lake Man
- Sex Offender to be Released in Rice Lake
- Rice Lake Woman Pleads Guilty to Felony Fleeing Charge
- Court Finds Probable Cause Against Man Charged with Making Terrorist Threats at Spooner Graduation
- Spooner Man Charged with Burglary Requests Jury Trial