Rice Lake Man Charged with Drug & Gun Crimes
Editor's Note: This press release was a part of yesterday's Grand Jury Returns Indictments on Multiple Wisconsin Cases posted on DrydenWire.com.
Mark W. Lewis, 55, Rice Lake, Wis., is charged with two counts of possessing methamphetamine with the intent to distribute. The indictment alleges that he possessed methamphetamine on August 12 and September 21, 2016. The indictment further alleges that on September 21, 2016, he possessed 50 grams or more of methamphetamine.
The indictment also charges Lewis with possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime. The indictment alleges that on August 12, 2016, he possessed a .22 caliber handgun.
If convicted, Lewis faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison on the first drug charge, and a mandatory minimum penalty of five years and a maximum of 40 years on the charge alleging 50 grams or more of methamphetamine. He faces a mandatory penalty of five years on the possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime charge. Federal law requires that this penalty be served consecutive to any sentence imposed on the drug charge.
The charges against him are the result of an investigation by the Washburn and Sawyer County Sheriffs’ Departments, Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation, and Federal Bureau of Investigation. The prosecution of this case is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney David Reinhard.
Pursuant to the direction of the Wisconsin Supreme Court, as found in Supreme Court Rule 20:3.6, Trial Publicly, you are advised that a charge is merely an accusation and that a defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Receive a Plush Snowman with any $25 Christmas Decor Purchase at Hardware Hank!
- Jury Trials Scheduled for 2 Men Charged Criminally in Barron County Death Case
- Clear Lake Police Dept. Asking for Public's Help Identifying this Vehicle & Subject
- 17-Year-Old Siren Man Charged With Sexual Assault of Child Under 16
- Providing Safe and Effective Nutrition for People with Dementia
- Shell Lake Police Monthly Report from 10/9 to 11/8
- Bosch Packaging to Close Shell Lake Facility
- Turtle Lake Police Seeking Public's Help Identifying Suspects
- Shell Lake Man Pleads Not Guilty to Child Sex Crimes; Jury Trial Scheduled
- 4 Charged With Armed Robbery Following Assault in Burnett County