CHIPPEWA COUNTY — A 10-year-old Wisconsin girl has been detained in the death of a 6-month-old boy, according to information released from Chippewa County Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk.
DrydenWire.com has redacted the name of the accused child due to her young age.
- On October 30th, 2018 at 3:40 p.m. the Chippewa County Sheriff’s Office received an EMS call at 12096 102ndAvenuee in the town of Tilden, Chippewa County. It was reported that a 6-month-old male infant was bleeding from the face and had what appeared, to the reporter, injuries to the face and head.
- EMS and Chippewa County Sheriff’s Office responded to 12096 102nd Ave. The infant was transported to St. Joesph’s hospital in the city of Chippewa Falls. The infant was airlifted to Gillette Hospital in St. Paul MN. due to his injuries.
- On October 30th, 2018 doctors/medical specialists at Gillette Hospital informed Chippewa County Deputies of the severity of the infant's injuries. Child abuse medical specialists indicated the injuries were consistent with child abuse, not by accidental circumstances. The infant received multiple skull fractures that were consistent with a heavy force/pressure. doctors provided photographs of infants injuries that showed a distinct pattern.
- On October 30th, Chippewa County Deputies interviewed the day care giver Amber Sweeney. Sweeney stated the only individuals at her residence was 2)two-year-olds, 2) 6-year-olds, 1) ten year old, and herself. Sweeney stated she had put the infant down for a nap around 3 p.m. the 6-year-olds and the 10-year-old arrived by school bus at around 3:40 p.m. She and the children, except for the infant who was still sleeping, went outside. Sweeney stated the children were in and out of the house for short periods of time. Sweeney stated she instructed the children to stay out of the house due to the infant sleeping. Sweeney stated the 10-year-old, identified as [redacted] dob 5/8/2008, was seen in the house sitting on the kitchen bay window. Sweeney said [redacted] was in the house by herself at that time.
- On November 1st, 2018 Chippewa County Deputies executed a search warrant at 12096 102nd street for items that may have caused the brusing and/or injuries to the infant. Twelve (12) items were taken/seized.
- On November 1st, 2018 Chippewa County Investigators interviewed [redacted]. The interview was not consistent from what investigators had discovered at this point in the investigation. Future arrangements were made for a follow-up interview.
- On November 1st, 2018 Chippewa County Investigators were notified by Gillette Hospital staff, the infant was deceased and the autopsy was scheduled for Friday, November 2nd.
- On November 2nd, 2018 Chippewa County Investigators interviewed [redacted] at the Chippewa County Sheriff’s Office. [Redacted] initialy denied any intential acts in harming the infant but later confessed as to her involement.
- The investiagtion has been forwared to the Chippewa County District Attorney’s office for their review and consideration of charges.
The girl appeared in Chippewa County Circuit Court on Monday. Bail was set at $50,000.
Note: Wisconsin law allows for minors 10-years-of-age and older to be charged as an adult for first-degree intentional homicide.