Editor’s note: “Support Staff Spotlight” is a weekly series that shines a spotlight on those that work behind the scenes in our area county departments that keep everything running smoothly. These individuals rarely get any attention (or credit?) but are vital to their respective departments. A new “Support Staff Spotlight” (formerly known as "21 Things You Might Not Know About Me") from one of our six-county coverage-area county departments will be published each Monday on DrydenWire.com.
BARRON COUNTY -- This week, we shine the spotlight on Monica Olson. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Monica, she is an Administrative Assistant II at the Barron County Sheriff’s Office. Monica has been at the Sheriff's Office for 2 years and with the county for 3.
Before you read Monica's “21 Things You Might Know About Me,” check out what Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald had to say about her:
"Monica is a great asset in our department. She holds down the front line at the office as is the gatekeeper to all that goes on. She greets everyone that comes in and treats everyone with compassion and respect. She juggles lots of topics and is our jack of all trades. From helping people with restraining orders, foreclosures and finding all of us when someone is at the window for an appointment (she should get Detective pay at times.), she does it all. She is a great team player and if you are ever in the building, stop and say hi to her!" - Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald
21 Things About Me: Monica Olson
- I was born in IL, but have lived in Barron County since I was about two.
- My parents wanted to farm after moving to WI, so they bought an Amish farm. No, I'm NOT Amish!
- I am a mom of three amazing young men! Connor is 21, Bryce is 14, and Carter is 10.
- Carter keeps me busy with soccer in the spring and Bryce keeps me busy in the fall with football.
- I have never been a fan of sports, but I am my boys' biggest cheerleader! Go Bears!!
- I love all four seasons and enjoy the outdoors as much as I can.
- My boys and I are avid campers and look forward to the camping season.
- My favorite foods are seafood, Mexican, and Italian.
- I have never traveled outside of the U.S.
- I love any and all kinds of music, except Polka!
- When I was younger, I always wanted to be a nurse. I graduated with an Associate's Degree in Medical Science in 2013 and worked in the medical field for about 5 years and decided it wasn't for me.
- I never thought I would ever work in Law Enforcement, but here I am, and I absolutely love it! I am the first in my family to be in Law Enforcement. Bryce said he wants to shadow me at work and Carter says he wants to be a cop when he grows up.
- I have one brother who is older than me (of course, I'm the favorite haha)
- I have never broken a bone.
- I was a band geek in school, and proud of it!
- I went on my first motorcycle ride last summer and loved it! I have always been scared of motorcycles because my brother almost didn't survive after hitting a deer on his.
- I have been in two car accidents in my lifetime, and neither was my fault. I got rear-ended by a semi and car 23 years ago, in my first car accident. I don't remember anything about it. I didn't have any breaks, just six fractures, and a lacerated liver. The fractures were considered "perfect" and my liver healed itself, so I didn't have any surgery. Just a long road of recovery.
- I have two granddogs that drive me crazy!
- When I was in the first grade, I almost lost my thumb in a hand-cement mixer.
- I absolutely despise spiders, snakes, and any bloodsuckers!
- I am thankful for my family, friends, and work life!