Winter Camping Rendevous Set for Feb.1-4 At Sawmill Lake Campground
SPOONER -- Cold weather adventurers will be gathering at Sawmill Lake campground in Washburn County from Thursday, February 1 through Sunday February 4 for the Winter Camping Rendezvous. This is the eighth year of the event where campers will enjoy snowshoeing, skiing, fishing and for some, fat tire biking.
“This event shows that with the right gear and attitude camping in the winter can be enjoyable,” said Rhonda Reynolds, event organizer, many of our attendees consider winter the best season for camping. There are no crowded campgrounds, bugs or bears.”
Past years have seen up to 30 people put up tents in the campground. Each campsite must pay the $10.00 per night fee along with a small donation for road plowing. Campers are asked to bring a shovel to clear out their site off the entry road and enough firewood for their stay.
“Some firewood is available,” Reynolds said, “especially if one camps on one of the back lakes.”
The campground has pit toilets and a hand pump well but bringing drinking water is advisable. For anglers, Brook trout lakes are in the area while nearby waters hold bass, bluegills and pike. The numerous lakes are connected with signed portages. Campers can also bring cross country skis, snowshoes, and fat tire bikes to explore the many trails and backroads.
Visitors are welcome. Reynolds said on Saturday February 3rd, at 1 p.m. she will give a tent tour to show the different kinds of winter camping systems.
“Most of our tents are “hot tents”, she said, in that they are heated with wood stoves and come in many different shapes and sizes. Heated tents are not a requirement to attend the event. We will have a large heated tent for group gatherings, so bring a chair and stay a while.”
Visit us on Facebook at “Winter Camping Rendezvous” or our website at https://wcr.eventnut.com.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Shell Lake PD's Monthly Report from 12/11 to 1/8
- Shell Lake Basketball Program to Host 'Hoops for Heroes' on Tuesday
- Rice Lake Trailer Court Evacuated After Report of Man With Gun
- Pickup Falls Through Ice on Spooner Lake
- DrydenWire.com Creates, Donates New Logo to the Shell Lake Police Foundation
- Stone Lake Receives $2,962 in Reimbursement from Wisconsin Disaster Fund
- Release Revoked for Man Charged in 1996 Shell Lake Sexual Assault of Child Case
- Al's Market Now Open in Shell Lake
- Shell Lake Police Foundation: 'Who Wants to Win Timberwolves Tickets?'