The Northwest Wisconsin Graziers Network and UW-Extension would like to invite you to attend this year’s winter grazing conference in Shell Lake from 8:30-3:30 on Saturday, March 9, 2019. The conference will be held at the Shell Lake Community Center, 200 West Lake Drive, one block east of US Hwy 63 in the middle of Shell Lake, in Washburn County.
Registration and the trade show will start at 8:30 AM. This conference will continue our strong tradition of an informative and friendly networking environment to learn about grazing and marketing. The conference should be of interest to new farmers, part-time or full-time operators, low-income startups, graziers or non-graziers. Several agency and commercial exhibitors will be available to network with throughout the day. The meal will be catered by Lois Stellrecht, Country Cupboard, a local livestock farmer. The specific topics and order of presentations will include:
- Round Table: Direct Marketing of Grass Fed Meat - Moderated by Kevin Schoessow, UW-Madison Extension
- Farmers Markets - Chris Johnson, Johnson Family Pastures, Centuria, WI
- Buying Clubs - Steve VanDerLoop, VDL Grassfed, Bruce, WI
- Local Network - Steve Degner, Bashaw Valley Farm Greenhouse and Storage, Shell Lake
- Importance of Soil health and Multi-Species Cover Crops – Dave Brandt, Carrol, Ohio, via YouTube video. Role of cover crops and no-till farming in building soils and land stewardship
- Practical Winter Forage Feeding Options and Issues - Vance Haugen, retired UW-Madison Extension agent, Canton, MN
- Pasture Raised and Marketed Pigs and Broilers - Mike Miles, Anathoth Community Farm, Luck, WI
Advance registration forms for the Conference are due by Tuesday, March 5, the cost is only $20 and includes lunch, snacks and materials. Late registration is $30. For more information, contact UW-Extension Area Ag Agent, Kevin Schoessow, at Spooner 715-635-3506, or NW Graziers members Lynn Johnson 715-225-9882, Randy Gilbertson 715-520-2112, or Otto Wiegand 715-416-0513.