WASHBURN COUNTY — To keep a pavement replacement project on US 53 from Pine Grove Road in the town of Sarona to Wildcat Road in the town of Beaver Brook in Washburn County on schedule, the contractor will be going to 24-hour operations Mondays through Saturdays, starting as early as Monday, July 24.
The concrete is being removed from the southbound lanes, and it will be crushed and hauled away. Concrete crushing operations and the back-up beepers on trucks hauling the crushed material away will result in nighttime noise. The work is weather dependent and expected to take three to four weeks.
Originally placed in the mid-1980s, this 6.5-mile segment of US 53 has reached the end of its service life.
To address this, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation project will:
- Remove the existing pavement and a portion of the existing base course.
- Place a new base aggregate layer for drainage and new concrete pavement.
- Replace storm sewer, culverts, curb and gutter.
- Reconstruct the approaches to US 53 from existing intersections.
- Replace shoulder rumble strips.
- Place pavement marking.
The northbound lanes were rebuilt first. One lane of traffic in each direction is operating on the northbound lanes as the southbound lanes are rebuilt.
Construction is scheduled to be completed in October.